Saturday, August 29, 2009

Santos in Hawaii

This past May I took a class in Hawaii about multiculturalism. I got an A-, which is still good but I think I failed at the final paper or something. I did write it in a week when we had two months to do it ... Anyway, here is a little snippet that did not make it into the final draft - my paper ended up being 15 and a half pages! I just didn't want this part to go to waste so I saved it.

The argument can be made that Hawaii is indeed a place of equal opportunity for all races and ethnicities by considering the sheer amount of interracial marriages that have occurred in the state as well as the laws in place to protect such couples. Equality can also be seen through all of the residents’ willingness and ability to adapt and identify with the local island culture of Hawaii. The “aloha spirit,” the spirit of respect and good-will, is a manifestation of the local culture. The residents all have a knowledge and commitment to Hawaii, as well as regard life with a good-natured and laid-back attitude. The local island culture also emphasizes the importance of being able to appreciate the diversity of the islands and subsequent blending of all the cultures. The idea of multiculturalism is a grand one that fails to take into account the one ethnic group that resided on the islands before the first immigrants ever came – native Hawaiians.

What do my (two) readers think?

1 comment:

  1. HAWAII PAPER GRADE of A-.....HURRAY!!! Maybe Prof noticed that you finished your paper in a hurry . Nevertheless, sometimes you do need an A- to keep you grounded, yep?

    ReplyDelete