Wednesday, August 19, 2009

DMZ

August 19 was DMZ day, so we met at the extremely early time of 8AM to get on the bus. I probably should not have stayed up doing nothing on the internet! We first went to the U.S. embassy, where a panel of employees described to us their jobs and the U.S. stance in South Korea. I must admit I did not really think of foreign service with the State Department as a possible employment option (I do not want to take the test) but they made it sound like a lot of fun. Traveling every three years to a new country? Getting paid to learn a language? Right now I am paying IWU tuition (which is ridiculous) to learn Korean! The possibilities are limitless! :) In reality, I would really like to do Peace Corps. The whole application process takes a long time but I think if I stick with it and show that I am dedicated to the goals of Peace Corps (as well as have plans beyond the time of service) it is possible.

Back to Korea ... after the embassy we rode to the military base and ate lunch in their mess hall. I had this very very spicy kimchi and pork dish which I could not finish despite the amount of rice I tried to balance it out with! It was SO HOT! There were military men everywhere, either serving with the U.S. or with South Korea. It was intimidating, to say the least, but not as intimidating as when we finally arrived at the DMZ. Before that, we got an hour lecture on the history of Korea by a retired officer who served as our tour guide (along with his two half-Korean daughters).

I didn't realize just how big the DMZ was until we got there. The area is teeming with wildlife as a result of the strict don't cross the border unless you want to get shot policy enacted by the Koreas. We were able to look at North Korea's landscape via a tower (I got some illegal pictures!) as well as actually step into North Korea in a building meant for communication. Trying to make the soldiers laugh was pretty hilarious. Our tour guide, a U.S. soldier, told our group that we were the loudest one he's had. On a more serious note, a North Korean soldier watched us the entire time with a pair of binoculars and I just had to wave but was quickly told to stop. We also went down into a tunnel, the third of four discovered tunnels dug by North Koreans as a way to sneak into the South. Going down was pretty sweet but coming back up was horrible! I was covered in so much sweat! Side note - Korea is extremely humid and every time I have gone out I have seriously sweat up a storm. Disgusting. Luckily the showers at the DMC complex are wonderful. We ended our time at the DMZ with a look at the over-priced souvenir shop (I was tempted to buy some North Korean currency).

Thanks to the tour I have learned just how blessed I am. North Koreans are struggling every day just to survive, and soldiers in the army, those you would think to be the best treated, are malnourished up to the point where U.S. soldiers can see the white tips of their fingers! They cannot even afford to properly arm their soldiers even when all the money is going into the military! I can't even imagine just how worse off the citizens are. I keep reading the Koreans desire reunification but how exactly is that going to happen? Will North Korea ever stop wanting nuclear power? I don't know but I do pray that one day the two Koreas will become one country again.

After coming back I got some delicious kimbap for dinner and over-priced ice cream for dessert. I love that I have gotten to eat so much delicious Korean food and a week hasn't even passed yet! Today is a lazy day (I will probably go out exploring later) but tomorrow CIEE students will go on an excursion to the southern part of Korea. Will blog more later!

1 comment:

  1. What an exciting and memorable start! Just be careful and stick to the rules of the school wherever you go. Your parental units are having fun reading your blog- keep up the excellent work you're doing. Please e-mail your password to your phone voice mail.
    God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete