Saturday, August 29, 2009

Do you have happiness?

The Seoul subway system is so convenient yet confusing at the same time. This morning it took me over an hour to make my way to Myeongdong and then another 20 minutes to search for the Cathedral! You would think a Catholic church would be easy to find, but with all the exits you can take it is very easy to get disoriented very quickly. I made it in time for the most important part though! Next week I will leave 30 minutes earlier just in case.

My second week in Seoul has been a learning experience, to say the least. Tuesday was a mini-orientation at the
DMC where I met other international students studying at Yonsei. I met other fangirls who are just as crazy as me! :) In the afternoon CIEE students met with four Yonsei volunteers who attempted to get us cell phones (failed) and then took us to a Chinese restaurant where I ate my very first bowl of black soybean noodles (자장면). Eating something I have only seen in dramas was very exciting, and it was delicious! After that we went to a karaoke place (노래방) and everyone sang hit k-pop songs! In my case, I sang the English parts and faked the Korean ones. That was so much fun!

The next day the Yonsei volunteers split up the CIEE group and took us on a campus tour. I already love Yonsei's campus, hills and all - it has that real oldschool feeling that I really don't get at IWU. It's VERY big though, so hopefully I get used to walking 20 minutes from one building to another (it takes 5 minutes to get from one side of IWU's campus to the other, no joke). After the tour (the library has touchscreens!) I met with my 'buddy' through Yonsei's global lounge, and we all went to first eat cold noodles
(냉면) and then drink. Yes, I actually participated in drinking games. I think I had a shot and a half of soju ... my Korean mentor is really cool, as well as my fellow buddies, a girl from Singapore and a girl from Sydney, Australia.

Thursday was a big day - I finally got a cell phone! It's a slidy one, which I have always wanted. Korean phones are a million times cooler than American ones - TV, internet, mp3 player, camera, cool sound effects and cheesy ring tones - I wish I could keep it when I come back to the States! While waiting to get the phone a friend led our small group to Insa-dong, which I seriously think is the souvenir capital of Seoul. I saw socks with boy band members on them as well as more traditional fans and a bunch of key chains and cell phone charms. I plan on going back to buy souvenirs there come December.

On Friday friends and I went to eat at Pizza Hut (potato pizza with
불고기 anyone?) and then made our way to COEX, this huge shopping mall. I am currently on a mission to buy earrings (so the holes in my ear don't close), a nice tote bag/big purse with a zipper (to better prevent theft), a belt (to match a shirt I bought), and gladiator sandals (the current fashionable footwear trend). I have yet to find any I am willing to pay for ... this next part may shock you.

I, Janelle, actually went clubbing. Yes, it's true. Korea is turning me into a shopaholic and a party animal. But not really. These same friends and I went to Hongdae (
홍대), where every last Friday of the month you can get into any club you want if you buy a wristband worth roughly $20. We first went to get drinks (I got a very girly ice cream cocktail that supposedly had Baily's and everyone had a shot of vodka, including myself). Afterwards we went to a place called S Club, where foreigners got in for free but everyone in the club was seriously smoking pot or something. We quickly left and caved in and spent the 20,000 won. It was worth it - the next club we went in had live rock music and I think my friend fell in love with the lead singer. Hehe. We left only after the band was done. It was an experience - everyone was jumping to the beat and I got stepped on at least three times. I don't know if I would do it again (I would rather stay in and watch anime) but I am glad that I went at least once. Hey, it's a part of Korean culture, right?

After recovering from the previous night we went out for lunch the next day and I got a spicy thick soup (
육개장) to distract me from my broken sandal (the happy foot one my aunt got in the Philippines). I was walking barefoot to the food court! We then had an adventure getting to Namdaemun Market (남대문 시장) thanks to Seoul's subway system. But we all got there in one piece and shopped around - I got this very cool, kind of plaid green and white shirt, my third shirt purchase in Korea! By the time I get back my suitcase will be stuffed. Dinner was slightly disastrous - we went to a Japanese restaurant that turned out to be expensive and full of smokers. The dish I got, the Japanese equivalent of a savory pancake (お好み焼き) had nuts and shrimp, much to the displeasure of my stomach. Don't worry Mom - after my friend discovered that fact I quickly took 2 Benedryl. I only had a spoonful! お好み焼き is not supposed to have nuts or shrimp, at least I thought so!

Seoul is an amazing city where you can have a good time no matter where you go. Next Tuesday is the beginning of classes, so I need to savor the free time I have left. I plan on acting touristy tomorrow! I am excited for classes so I can have a schedule and finally start my second to last semester of college!

2 comments:

  1. Whoa, you went clubbing? Wild Janelle, haha. Now I kinda wish I had gone to a club in France, just to see what it was all about. Oh well. And hope that you feel better from that savory pancake that attacked your stomach. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. PARENTAL UNITS ALERT!!!! Sorry to learn about "the pancake" mishap but we're thankful and relieved to know you're OK.PLEASE REMEMBER MOM's admonitions!! Clubbing?? Well, please be very careful 'cause there are drinks that will not agree with your system ; better still...NO MORE, OK? You've already experienced it once and that should be it for now, OK? You are always in our prayers- keep your faith vibrant and keep growing!

    ReplyDelete