Saturday, July 17, 2010

Gatecon 2010: Fan Report

My next post will have a big Peace Corps update, but for now...

My first (and probably last) Stargate convention was, in a word, amazing.


Vancouver is such a gorgeous city. I absolutely loved it. The scenery is so beautiful, whether it be the mountains, the forests, or the beaches bordering the ocean. I had the opportunity to tour the city for a few days before the convention and I enjoyed every minute of it. We (my friend who convinced me to go, her parents, and me) went to so many places (mostly filming locations of our favorite shows) so I got a pretty good look of what Vancouver has to offer. Here’s a small sample:


Look familiar? This is Caprica from Battlestar Galactica.


I enjoy the juxtaposition.


See the guy fishing?


Chinatown! Second largest in North America


A very long bridge


The actual convention was held at the Sheraton Wall Centre, a swanky place with nice facilities and free Starbucks coffee (which is saying something when you can find a Starbucks on literally every street of downtown Vancouver). The convention began on a Thursday with registration that went very smoothly in the morning (I got my badge, info, a shirt, and signed up for two official photos that cost me $40 – they were worth it!) and a Meet’n’Greet in the evening. This involved mingling with other convention goers and talking about anything relating to Stargate. I had absolutely no idea that the actors were going to be there, so imagine my surprise when I saw Corin Nemec (Jonas Quinn from Season 6) just standing there, talking to people! I got photos with Colin Cunningham (Major Paul Davis), Corin, Cliff Simon (Ba’al), and Paul McGillion (Dr. Carson Beckett). I could have left the convention right then and there and have been super content.


But of course I didn’t since I paid for the whole weekend! Each day there were four panels consisting of the ‘honored guests.’ We asked questions and watched them banter with each other. They were all fun but the ones in which the guests had beer were hilarious. Paul revealed that he had wrestled and won against the two main muscle men of the show, amongst other things. I even had enough guts to ask him a question (favorite Atlantis episode to film and why), but it came out strange because it was such a spur of the moment idea. Oh well, glad I did ask! I had my official photos taken Saturday morning, what do you think?


Corin Nemec (he's going to be in Supernatural, talk about crossover!)


Paul McGillion (yay hug)

The auction Saturday night for the Make-A-Wish Foundation raised ridiculous amounts of money because the guests kept on encouraging the bidders. Paul McGillion would look at someone, say “It’s for the wee babies. Do you not like the babies?” and of course they had to keep on bidding. Sunday night (after 10PM) people were randomly hanging out with Corin, so I joined them and listened to his corny jokes. I only outright fangirled once when an unexpected guest showed up. Michael Trucco (Anders of Battlestar Galactica) suddenly appeared and of course I freaked out, but I was unable to take a picture with him (my friend did though while I was wandering around Vancouver. Lucky Erin!).

Thanks to the awesomeness that is Gatecon, not only did I get a chance to talk to actual (if minor) celebrities, I got to meet lots of fellow Stargate fans whom I will try my best to keep in touch with. I hope that fan run conventions will continue since this really was a wonderful experience!

2 comments:

  1. Janelle! It looks like you had so much fun and I've been dying to visit Vancouver. I hear most of Canada is breathtaking! Traveling is so much fun I wish I had unlimited funds so I could see the world! You look so wonderful in the pictures can't wait to hear about future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alexis! I know, I've just been extremely lucky that the parental units have paid for all my travels until now! I really think that if you can you should visit Vancouver - it's definitely worth it.

    ReplyDelete